Office Assistant / Insectary and Animal House Technician, Rwanda
The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Entomologist, the Insectary and Animal House Technician manages the insectary.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain the mosquito colony in the insectary.
- Ensure the feeding of lab animals and mosquito colony.
- Ensure and coordinate the cleaning of the insectary.
- Establish regularly the needs required for the insectary.
- Ensure the appropriate storage of equipment and animal food.
- Ensure appropriate records are kept in the laboratory log books.
- Assist with procurement requests related to this activity.
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) for these activities.
- Participate in other field activities as required.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Entomologist.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Secondary School completion (Bachelor’s Degree desireable)
- Experience in laboratory or veterinary work for at least one (1) year.
- Knowledge in computer skills (able to run programs such as Microsoft word, Excel).
- Knowledge of English.
- Experience with laboratory animal rearing is an added advantage.
- (1) year of experience and high school diploma OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.