National University Of Rwanda Admission Requirements
Minimum Entry Requirements
1. Undergraduate Programmes
- Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education/Technical and Vocational Education Training Certificate/Primary Teacher Education CertificateApplicants to undergraduate degree programmes must be in possession of an Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education, with at least two principal passes in the relevant subject combinations;or a Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET) Certificate, with at least three principal passes in the relevant subjects;or a Primary Teacher Education Certificate with at least a Credit in the relevant subject combinations.
- Alternative qualifications
Candidates with alternative qualifications will be considered for admission into degree and diploma programmes, on the basis of equivalences determined by the Colleges. Foreign qualifications must be evaluated by the Rwanda Education Board (REB) prior to registration.
2. Postgraduate Programmes
- To qualify for admission into a Master’s Programme by Coursework and Dissertation, applicants must:
- Have obtained a Bachelor’s Degree with Honours, Second-Class Upper Division (Level 5 in the Rwandan qualifications Framework) or a qualification deemed equivalent
- Demonstrate sufficient ability in the language of instruction and excellent language proficiency in the case where the language is the discipline of choice for the degree.
- To qualify for admission to a doctoral degree at the University of Rwanda, applicants must have attained:
- A Master’s Degree (Level 6 in the Rwandan qualifications Framework) in an area relevant to the proposed programme of research.
- Demonstrate sufficient ability in English to undertake doctoral-level work.
- Entry requirements to postgraduate Diploma and Certificates programmes are similar to those for Masters programmes.
- Alternative entry requirements into postgraduate programmes maybe considered taking into account recognition of prior learning experience.
SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS AND LEVELS OF PERFORMANCE
Subject requirements and minimum level of performance, in terms of points in the subject combinations relevant to the programmes, are set by the different Colleges. The points are determined based on calculations of weighted points for the award of an Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education, shown in the table below.
|Subject||Grade letter||Weighted points|
|Mathematics/Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Accounting/Economics/Entrepreneurship/Finance/History/Geography/English/Literature in English/French/Kinyarwanda/Kiswahili/Computer Science/Secretarial Studies/Creative performance and Physical Education||A||6*3=18|